SNOWBALL Festival 2011

Pretty Lights
Lucky me! During my winter escape to Colorado I got a Coachella warm-up! This weekend was the first annual Snowball Festival in Vail Valley. When I told my dad (who has been coming here since the 70's, living here on and off) about it, the first thing he said was "You are so lucky. Nothing used to go on here."

I was most interested in Friday and Sunday's lineup.  Saturday's headliner was Bassnectar, which would require far too many drugs for me to have a good time. No thanks. Friday we arrived just in time to grab a drink and catch Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros. I had never bothered to check them out, despite a few recommendations. Well, what a pleasant surprise! I didn't realize they had so many jams! They gave an awesome energetic performance despite the frigid temperatures.


Speaking of the cold. I had no idea what to expect. When my friend picked me up Friday I brought two pairs of boots and two jackets into the car just for recommendations. I wound up choosing Sorels and a fur coat, which kept me warm and fuzzy, as well as a few other people apparently.  About halfway into Edward Sharpe's set I abandoned my friends and sneaked into the tent across from the main stage to Diplo's set, where I somehow managed to snake my way near the front. This tent was VERY warm compared to the crowd outside that I had been in a few minutes earlier.  Had to suck up the fur coat, cause I didn't want to dance and carry that thing.... And the petting began.  I suddenly found myself surrounded by kids in tank tops with dilated pupils, water bottles in hand, saying to me "You did this on purpose didn't you!" and "You are my sooooo my best friend." I was happy to make their night.

Pretty Lights followed on the main stage, giving his home crowd of Colorado a lengthy, totally dance worthy set. When I say dance, I personally was skidding over a patch of ice while my body was supported by the rest of the crowd, swaying wherever they went. It almost felt like upright crowd surfing. This was where the Sorels came in. Icy patches, puddles of slush, my feet were SAFE. Those boots have mad traction! It did take a while to find them here in Vail. I finally found them at Sports Authority in the men's section. It was the only place I could find them without fake fur and pink detailing all over.
I digress... Pretty Lights ended with a pretty sick remix of Kanye's "All of the Lights" that I hope I can find soon. (hint hint to anyone out there)

Pretty Lights

Skipped Saturday.

Sunday we got started a bit late and arrived at the end of Afroman's set. (I know all the words to Colt 45 by heart.) I did manage to catch part of it as we walked past the tent though.



SLUSH SOLUTION = SORELS

We did, however, make it in time for the band I was most excited to see... Miami Horror! They're an awesome electro-disco-ey band from Melbourne that is so fun to dance to.



Miami Horror
Miami Horror

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The fur coat episode is so funny :)

Unknown said...

aahhhhhh jy crois pas que tu y etais trop bien !!!! moi aussi jvoulais trop y aller! c'etait bienn?