HOT SAUCE

Hot sauce. One of my most favorite things in the world.  I don't know why I never attempted to make my own until now.  Let me introduce you to my favorites:


Susie's. This baby I discovered after spending a lot of time in Antigua one winter.  Last time I was there I bought two gigantic bottles and went through them within six months.

Sriracha.  One friend described it as "the culinary duct tape, a quick fix for anything." Another explained, "it's like hot sauce and ketchup had a baby that's waaaay cooler than either of the parents." I put it on pretty much everything.

D'Elidas.  This bad boy is really spicy at first, until you get used to it.  It comes from Panama. So good with plantains.

Las Vegas Hot Sauce.  This is one of my new favorites, discovered by chance on an overnight stop in Sin City.  I can't decide whether the roasted garlic, orange, or red savina flavor is my favorite... I'll take them all!



When making my own I wanted to incorporate all my favorite elements from each sauce: the chunkiness and kick of Susie's and D'Elidas, the garlicky sweetness of Sriracha, and the orange and roasted garlic of the Las Vegas sauce.

What you'll need:

2 heads roasted garlic (for a great roasted garlic recipe click here)
2 shallots, minced
1 small onion, minced
2 orange segments, chopped
1/2 tomato, finely diced
2 tablespoons honey (this is a rough guess, I just gave it two good squirts, you can adjust it to your taste)
2 tablespoons Harissa (Moroccan chili paste, normally used for couscous. Again, this is a rough guess.)
Salt and pepper
Water
Olive oil

-Heat up some olive oil in a small saucepan, add the onions and shallots and stir until golden.
-Add tomatoes, roasted garlic and orange segments.
-Turn heat to low, add water and allow to simmer and reduce. You will do this about five or six times over the course of an hour, stirring from time to time, to allow the ingredients to break down.
-Once desired consistency is achieved, add honey, harissa, and salt and pepper to taste.

Store in refrigerator.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sacha, you are a hot tamale chaud lapin! Love your blog. Keep it up! Hustle up. : ) XO, s

Coralie said...

Je pense que Bruno va esseyer ta recette, sounds good!!!
On t'embrasse fort
Coralie